Friday, February 5, 2010

Tag Heart Tutorial


Here's a little tutorial I featured on my art blog a couple of years ago. I'm running it again in case anyone wants to include one in a Valentine.

Step 1
For this project you will need two tags and scissors. A pencil and ruler are optional, necessary only if you want perfect measurements. I cut these two tags from magazine pages using my Sizzix, but you could trace your tags and cut them by hand if you like.Notice I have chosen one patterned paper and one that is mostly solid in color.


Step 2
Overlap the tags as shown. Use a pencil to place a mark as shown.

Or, if you don't like marking and measuring, you can skip this step.





Step 3
Use the ruler to lightly draw a line marking how deep your cuts need to be.
Or not. If you skipped the last step, you can skip this one too.



Step 4
Draw lines from the bottom edge of the tag up to the line you drew in Step 3. You need to do this on only one of the tags. First, draw the center line of the tag. Then, draw the center lines of those two halves. (You will draw three lines which divide the tag into four parts.)

Align the two tags, one atop the other. Cut on the three lines just drawn.
Or, if you didn't draw the lines, just cut freehand.



Step 5
Weave the strips of the two tags together using a simple over-under-over-under technique.



Step 6

TA DA!

Your woven tag heart is now ready to glue into your next project.

I hope you enjoyed the tutorial. Please leave your comments below. And, be sure to send me a link to your own woven hearts!

1 comment:

  1. So nice to see this here!!
    When I was small my grandmother taught me this way to make a woven heart. - And this was about 45 years ago (I'll be 50 this autumn). We used these woven hearts then as bookmarks so that the heart was placed around the upper corner of the book page.

    ReplyDelete